I work with simple forms (squares, lines) and materials (paper, art board, wood, mdf, foam board) in simple rhythmic compositions, mostly inspired on spiral movements.
“Simple” means: a straight line, simpler than a plane; a square, simpler than a rectangle. Everything that is not important or redundant, can be left out.
Simple also means: no colour, white.
I prefer to work in a language of minimal elements: a repetition of the same element, sometimes with little shifts or distortions. Sometimes there are more elements, which amplify each other but not confuse and in that way form a new element.
The handwriting that takes shape during the process, just exists and can be there.
It is a continuing investigation of what is possible with these minimal means and their shape properties.
With these minimal elements endless structures take shape, with no accents, no main issues, no side issues. I show a strong image of emptiness, of silence and peacefulness in a meditative atmosphere.
My work does not point to existing realities, nor is it a picture of that reality. There are no statements, no meanings, symbols or messages. My work does not pretend to be more that itself: a composition of forms. That is why my work matches best with definitions, which are being used defining Concrete Art.
“The work must be constructed totally from pure visual elements. A visual element has no other meaning than itself and therefore the picture has no other meaning than itself” (van Doesburg, 1930)
WORK / EDUCATION
in the Netherlands, France (Paris, Strasbourg), Germany (Frankfurt), Portugal (Lisbon), United Kingdom (London), Switzerland (Zurich, Geneve), Italy (Roma), United States (Princeton, New York, Miami), United Arabian Emirates (Dubai), Israël (Tel Aviv) and Japan (Tokyo).
• Gallery Stijl, Eefde (NL) (Gallerystijl.nl)
• EM Gallery, Kollum (NL) (EMGallery.nl/)
• Domein Holset, Lemiers (NL) (www.domeinholset.nl)
• Gallery Radial Art Contemporain, Strasbourg (Fr) (radial-gallery.eu/)
• Gallery Bos Fine Art, Lelystad / 's Gravenhage (NL) (www.bosfineart.com/)
• ArtLimes London / Athens (artlimes.com/shop/jan-hendriks-art)
• Geoform (geoform.net/artists/jan-hendriks-2/)
• Saatchi Online London / Los Angeles (US) (www.saatchiart.com/janhendriks)
• Artfinder (www.artfinder.com/janhendriks#/)
• 4me Prix d’Art International d‘André Evard 2015, Kunsthalle Messmer, Riegel am Kaiserstuhl, Germany
• Biennale del Tirreno 2017/2018, Tirreno, Italy
• Gallery Olieslagers Art Gnosia, Boxmeer (NL)
• Stichting Vierplus: Essentie 2018, Bolsward (NL)
exhibitions now open:
• Gallery Polhus, Nijkerk (NL) 12 1/2 jaar Gallery Polhus: "Natural, abstracted and abstract"
• Gallery Bos Fine Art, 's Gravenhage (NL) "Exhibition Untitled TZT The Hague Winter 2017-2018"
• Stichting Vierplus: Essentie 2017, Den Helder (NL)
• Domein Holset, Lemiers (NL) summer exhibition
• Gallery Bos Fine Art, 's Gravenhage (NL) "KVKB17"
• Gallery Bos Fine Art, 's Gravenhage (NL) "KVKC16"
• Gallery Radial Art Contemporain, Strasbourg (Fr) "Summer Exhibition 2017"
• Stichting Vierplus: Essentie 2017, Heusden (NL)
• Gallery de Natris, Nijmegen (NL) "Jan Hendriks - new works"
• Grooots Art Design, Heusden (NL) "dynamics and silence"
• Stichting Vierplus: Essentie 2017, Utrecht (NL)
• Gallery Broft, Leerdam (NL) "Jan Hendriks - Solo"