This painting had a few more developments than the others, which were basically worked out in advance, so that was interesting in itself, as it made me respond and alter its journey. Long and short I wasn’t happy with the outcome of the initial layers, especially on the scale I felt it was missing something. So I new it would need an intervention to save it and thinking again back to the idea of a rupture I was excited by the prospect. By printing out a photograph of the painting I did some mock marks over the top to see how the composition would work, thinking a new form would do, however I was left underwhelmed by the samples. So I thought more about what you would expect to be there rather than would I would, and the naughts and crosses came pretty instinctively after that. The introduction came partly by chance, despite being open to the idea before just unsure how. After a friend had some left over paint the thought of going from my monochrome safety blanket to using the bubblegum pink I went for in the end really excited me.