Club Street got its name from the various Chinese clubs sited on this street. Some say the street got its name after the Chinese Weekly Entertainment Kee Lam Club, which was sited on this street at the end of Ann Siang Road. The club was formed in 1891 and was the leading Straits Chinese club for several decades. Others believe the street name was derived from the Chui Lan Teng Club which existed there for more than 90 years. This was the place where wealthy Chinese businessmen would meet for leisure.